A lot of things can happen.
We recommend you to procure a travel insurance. We can do that for you. In that way you are financial protected should you have to cancel your holidays for important reasons.
Important reasons are:
Illness or accident of one of the holiday participants. Case of death in the family, fire, acts of God.
(1) Until three months before arrival it is possible for both parties to cancel the accommodation contract without having to pay a fee. The contractual partner must receive the cancellation three months prior to the scheduled arrival of the guest.
(2) Until one month before arrival it is possible for both parties to cancel the accommodation contract, however a cancellation fee has to be paid. The cancellation fee equals the room price for three nights. The contractual partner must receive the cancellation one month prior to the scheduled arrival of the guest.
(3) The host has the right to withdraw from the contract should the guest not arrive until 06:00 p.m.; except a later arrival time has been agreed on.
(4) Should the guest have made a deposit, the room(s) will stay reserved until noon of the following day.
(5) The guest is obligated to pay the money agreed on, even if the guest does not show up. However the host has to deduct the costs of services saved, as well as costs received because of re-renting the reserved rooms. Experiences show that in most cases the hotel saves 20 per cent of the room costs as well as 30 per cent of the lodging costs if guest do not show up.
(6) The host is allowed re-rent rooms, when guests not show up (§ 1107 ABGB). Cancellation policies explained at points 1, 2 and 5 are recommendations according to §§ 31ff of the syndicate law.